Sunday, March 13, 2011

Week 7 ~ Online Social Networking and Gaming



For me social networking is simply a way to keep in touch with friends and family and former co-workers that I don't see all the time.  Face Book has actually been a very good tool for my family to keep people informed about family members who've been ill recently.  My family is so huge it would take days to get the word out and all branches of the family are on FB so it makes it easier to keep in touch.

Occasionally I'll come across a new article or social interest article that I find interesting and I'll post it to my Face Book page.  I occasionally post photos I've taken that interest me, such as photos of Maine, family get together's or things that I have cooked.  I try not to be political because everyone has different opinions about politics, even if they are wrong! LOL!!!    



I have never been much of a gamer, the closest I came to being a gamer was playing pac-man and Super Marioa few times .  I could probably count on my fingers how many times I've played video games.  The sold-out gaming conference in Boston amazes me because of the number of people who are interested in gaming, and the number of people who are hard core gamers.  In my opinion it's a very expensive hobby.  Just looking at the number of sponsors (over 50) represented at the PAX East 2011 Conference will tell you that it's a very lucrative industry.  


On the bright side, this industry does require the use of math, science, engineering and graphic design/art to name a few. When I interviewed my gamer he told me that it was a field that he was interested in when he finishes college.  He'll do well, he's very enthusiastic about gaming.  It certainly was interesting listening to gamers being interviewed on the news and talk about their hobby or in some cases their livelihood, it certainly makes for a more interesting world. It also made me better appreciate the gaming world, not that I'm going to run out and buy the latest version of Super Mario Galaxy 2!
In retrospect, when I reflect upon  how excited gamers are about games and gadgets I can only compare it to how excited I get over a new Le Creuset pan and then discovering there's an outlet in Kittery, Maine!  To each his own, because that's what makes the world an interesting place!

No comments: